The Cullman Regional Wound Healing Center, managed by Healogics™, provides specialized treatment for chronic or non-healing wounds, which are defined as sores or wounds that have not significantly improved from conventional treatments. Associated with inadequate circulation, poorly functioning veins, and immobility, non-healing wounds lead to lower quality of life and may lead to amputations. When wounds persist, a specialized approach is required for healing. Typically, a wound that does not respond to normal medical care within 30 days is considered a problem or chronic wound.
State-of-the-Art treatment options include:
- Hyperbaric Oxygen Therapy
- Wound Dressing Selection
- Specialized Shoes
- Patient Education
A Comprehensive Team of Wound Care Specialists
The Cullman Regional Wound Healing Center is designed to complement your physicians’ services and is committed to the treatment of chronic or non-healing wounds. The Center is made up of a team of professionals, including:
- Physicians with advanced training in wound management and hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Nursing staff trained in the care of chronic wounds
- Technicians who perform non-invasive studies and various therapies
- Experienced staff to assist with appointments, medical records, and health insurance processing
- A personalized wound treatment program
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I a candidate for specialized wound care?
If you suffer from a chronic or non-healing wound, ask your physician about a referral to the Cullman Regional Wound Healing Center or contact us directly for an assessment. If you are a candidate for this outpatient program, the Cullman Regional Wound Healing Center will immediately work with you and your doctor to deliver the following:
- Advanced therapies, such as hyperbaric oxygen therapy
- Proven clinical protocols
- An individualized, comprehensive plan of care that brings you the most appropriate and effective treatments for your specific needs
- Assessment and ongoing care by our highly skilled team of wound care specialists, including a case manager who will oversee every aspect of your treatment
- Education for you and your family to help healing happen at home, including materials and resources related to prevention, nutrition, hygiene, and more
- Ongoing communication and collaboration with you and your doctor so that you each remain informed about your progress
What Causes Non-Healing Wounds?
Chronic and non-healing wounds can result from a number of factors, including diabetes, poor circulation, trauma, vascular disease, and immobility (which can lead to pressure ulcers, commonly known as “bed sores”). An estimated eight million Americans suffer from chronic wounds. Wounds come from a variety of different medical conditions, and they don’t heal for many different reasons.
Will I have to change my primary care doctor or specialist?
No. In fact, the Cullman Regional Center Wound Healing Center prefers to work with your physician or medical specialist during the treatments. We even keep your doctor informed with frequent progress reports. While you’ll be receiving treatment for your wound from our center, you’ll continue to receive all of your routine care from your primary physician.
Does insurance cover specialized wound care treatments?
Many health plans cover wound care center treatments. Call us to determine what your specific plan covers.
Is hyperbaric medicine safe?
Hyperbaric oxygen therapy is a safe and evidence-based treatment proven to speed the healing process in certain types of wounds. In fact, many patients find it relaxing! The clear chambers are equipped with televisions and comfortable bedding, so patients are free watch their favorite television shows or a movie, or even sleep. A typical course of treatment involves the patient spending about 90 minutes a day in the chamber five days per week over a four-to-six-week period.